Field Service Technicians
- Title: Field Service Technician
- Department: Service
- Reports To: Service – After Market Manager
- Effective Date: August, 2014
Provides technical support by installing and servicing machines at customers’ sites while meeting or exceeding standards for quality, productivity and safety.
Key Job Duties
- Installs, services and troubleshoots equipment at customer sites, resolving mechanical, electrical and programming issues; also provides in-house technical support.
- Documents technical and customer information to facilitate and maintain effective business relationships.
- Identifies product/service sales opportunities at customer sites that will enhance customer’s packaging processes.
- Provides “hands on” training for customers’ employees.
- Learns new components and design principles as they are introduced.
- Assembles and disassembles equipment, performs retrofits, programs and codes work for PC and PLC machine controls.
- Recognizes when parts are out of spec and inspects them to determine the problem.
- Works with mechanical design teams, electrical control personnel and customers to ensure that machines meet all requirements.
- Provides expertise in the installation of pneumatic, vacuum and lubrication plumbing.
- Designs, fabricates and installs mechanical finish parts (i.e. gun mounts, flap rails, idlers).
- Plans and completes miscellaneous machine guarding as assigned.
- Assists with training other Technicians.
- Able to work from diagrams, prints, specs and schematics to correctly assemble components that have close fit relationships.
- Participates and contributes to Massman’s lean manufacturing journey.
- Assists in other areas and performs additional tasks as needed.
- Communications and Interpersonal Skills: Effectively expresses ideas and thoughts verbally and in written form. Genuinely listens, comprehends and provides timely responses to questions/concerns. Keeps others adequately informed. Emulates and communicates Massman’s values of Honesty, Integrity and Pride.
- Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner, reacts well under pressure; treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Planning and Organization: Displays good organizational skills. Effectively prioritizes and plans work activities. Sets goals and objectives. Integrates changes smoothly. Plans for additional resources. Uses time efficiently.
- Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures. Reports potentially unsafe conditions. Uses equipment and maintains properly. Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines.
- Problem Solving: Gathers, analyzes and presents information skillfully. Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner. Addresses divergent opinions and develops alternative solutions. Works well in group brainstorming and problem solving situations. Achieves win-win solutions. Displays ability to influence key decision makers.
- Quality: Exhibits high standards of workmanship/performance. Final output is neat and professional in appearance. Errors/rework are rare. Applies feedback to improve performance. Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Looks for ways to improve/promote quality and reduce costs.
- Initiative/Achievement: Seeks increased responsibilities. Recognizes and acts on opportunities. Takes independent actions to achieve goals. Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles. Measures self against standard of excellence. Seeks self-development activities. Volunteers readily.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2-Year Associates or Technical Degree
- Knowledge of packaging industry preferred
- Strong understanding of pneumatic, vacuum and lubrication systems
- and a general understanding of electrical control devices (i.e. sensors, Solenoid valves, VFDs, LPC and PLSs)
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing or continuous improvement processes preferred
Experience and/or Other Requirements:
3 – 4 years demonstrated work experience in packaging manufacturing industry or related technical field, with minimum 1 year experience as a Mechanical Assembler II or III
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds