Field Service Technician
Provides technical support by installing and servicing machines at customers’ sites while meeting or exceeding standards for quality, productivity and safety.
Key Job Duties
- Travel when requested.
- Maintain 50% time on the road. (120 days a year) Available days will be monitored.
- Willing to learn and travel on any product lines Massman supports.
- 4 week notice for Vacation requests.
- Installs, services and troubleshoots equipment at customer sites, resolving mechanical, electrical and programming issues; also provides in-house technical support.
- Documents technical and customer information to facilitate and maintain effective business relationships.
- Identifies product/service sales opportunities at customer sites that will enhance customer’s packaging processes.
- Provides “hands on” training for customers’ employees.
- Learns new components and design principles as they are introduced.
- Assembles and disassembles equipment, performs retrofits, programs and codes work for PC and PLC machine controls.
- Recognizes when parts are out of spec and inspects them to determine the problem.
- Works with mechanical design teams, electrical control personnel and customers to ensure that machines meet all requirements.
- Provides expertise in the installation of pneumatic, vacuum and lubrication plumbing.
- Designs, fabricates and installs mechanical finish parts (i.e. gun mounts, flap rails, idlers).
- Plans and completes miscellaneous machine guarding as assigned.
- Assists with training other Technicians.
- Able to work from diagrams, prints, specs and schematics to correctly assemble components that have close fit relationships.
- Participates and contributes to Massman’s lean manufacturing journey.
- Assists in other areas and performs additional tasks as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2-Year Associates or Technical Degree
- Knowledge of packaging industry preferred
- Strong understanding of pneumatic, vacuum and lubrication systems and a general understanding of electrical control devices (i.e. sensors, Solenoid valves, VFDs, LPC and PLSs)
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing or continuous improvement processes preferred
Experience and/or Other Requirements:
- 3 – 4 years demonstrated work experience in packaging manufacturing industry or related technical field, with minimum 1 year experience as a Mechanical Assembler II or III
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time
- Must be able to lift 50+ pounds