Design Engineer ll
Primary Objective: Supports customer’s expectations and project deadlines by performing parts detailing and mechanical design while meeting or reducing budgeted time and costs. This position typically works with little or no assistance and supervision.
Key Job Duties:
1. Perform all job duties of Design Engineer 1 without supervision.
2. Details and designs parts to make fabrication as efficient as possible.
3. Designs complete mechanisms with complete views; copy, paste and resize proven/existing mechanisms.
4. Completes partial designs; completes mechanical purchase parts lists.
5. Plans and organizes all aspects of machines with less than 50% new design.
6. Determines sizes of purchased components.
7. Conducts research and design activities as required.
8. Maintains vendor relationships for technical support and awareness of new technologies.
9. Participates in design kickoff and design review meetings.
10. Travels to customer sites and trade shows
11. Assists in other areas and performs additional tasks as needed.
- High School Diploma or GED required
- 2-year technical education in related field preferred
- Excellent computer and CAD skills
- Excellent print reading skills
- Excellent understanding of mechanical linkages and components (i.e., bearings, sprockets, pulleys, air cylinders)
- Knowledge of the metric system, fabrication process, raw materials, plating, electrical and mechanical assembly preferred
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing or continued improvement processes preferred
Experience and/or Other Requirements:
- 2 years packaging-related experience can substitute for technical education
- Must be detailed oriented
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
- Must be able to move or lift up to 25 pounds